21 February 2018

Aux lights, etc.

Wired up the auxiliary lights this evening. I'm going to need to re-route the wires running down the forks a bit, but that's an easy job.

I ordered the VisionX Solstice Solo lights (60˚/flood) via Amazon a couple weeks ago to fill in the dimmer areas of my headlight coverage. Should help, particularly on the irregular roads we can expect on various parts of the Panamerican Highway.


I was originally thinking of making and installing a bar just under the headlights, but then realized that the bolt that came with the Solstice mounts was the same size as the bolt used to hold my front fender in place. Certainly an easier and/or cheaper install since I wouldn't have to fabricate and/or purchase a mounting bar, and it will put them at a different angle to the road than the headlights, which may help combat odd shadows. I figured the wires could run down alongside the brake lines and opted for Anderson Power Poles  to supplement the necessary connections. They're easy to use, and I'm thinking I may make some extension/conversion cables for various other uses that I could plug into this line if I don't feel I'll need the aux lights. There was an unused switch on the "dash" of the bike when I got it, so I cleaned up the contacts and -- after testing it for functionality -- used it for the aux lights.


The lights seem to throw a hefty bundle of lumens and make my beam satisfactorily robust. I've only tested them in the garage so far, though, and the pic doesn't really do it justice -- probably due to the camera's HDR compensating for the increased light. Still, you can see a slight difference. Also, importantly, the little red indicator is on in the image on the right (that's the switch for the aux lights), and the voltage meter shows a loss of 0.1 volts. I'm more interested in how it will change when running, and with heated gear, etc., but keeping an eye on it for every farkle* added.

I've got a couple USB ports to wire -- going to need to make a parts run to finish those -- before I can put the bike back together so that it's roadworthy again. Once I do, I'll be sure to test the whole system -- heated gear, aux lights, USB ports -- and report back.



*farkle -- biker-speak for gadgets and gizmos added to the motorcycle

No comments:

Post a Comment