16 February 2018

Screen repaired

Tragedy struck a couple months ago when I was on the road for work. I tossed my phone on the bed as is customary for me to do. This time, though, my computer happened to be sitting there. The phone struck the screen with enough force to put a nasty crack in it. Truth be told, this toss had a hint of anger behind it. The computer was still usable and only the surface glass was cracked, fortunately.

I found a tutorial on replacing the surface glass on a late-2011 model Macbook Pro, ordered the parts and a couple specific tools, and bided my time. This is how most of my projects go: initial surge of interest, parts ordered, preparations made, *SQUIRREL!!*, weeks or months later (or years...) I get back to actually working on the project.

Old glass removed (in background)

Anyway, last night was that night. I sat down with the tutorial, the computer, and the tools (which included a hair dryer, of all things), and set to work. Two and a half hours later (alright, alright, I may have had some Netflix on, too) I had a lovely, new-looking computer. While I was at it, I added some memory in hopes that my video software would be more compliant. Despite discovering someones palm print on the inside of the glass after I got it installed (I swear I didn't touch it!), I'm quite happy with the results so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment