07 April 2018

First Aid & Survival Kits





First Aid Kit

With every long trip I take I realize I am bringing so much more stuff than I need.  With each successive trip I have brought less and less and half of the items still go untouched. And it's such a pain in the ass to haul everything around!

It is a constant battle of too much or not enough and this first aid kit is no different.

That being said, with a paramedic wife and a newly minted wilderness first aid certification, this is the largest first aid kit I've ever packed.


  1. The pack itself is actually two small MOLLE packs snapped together.  
  2. NOLS Wilderness First Aid Pocket Guide
  3. Band aids
  4. Alcohol wipes
  5. Larger sterile packs, sponges and pads
  6. Bandages
  7. Tincture of Benzoin
  8. Sterile flush
  9. Gloves!
  10. Various tapes and adhesives
  11. Swath/sling
  12. Tweezers
  13. Steristrips and butterfly stitches
  14. Moleskin and 2nd skin
  15. Shears
  16. Various medications
I'm sure I'm forgetting something, feel free to let me know!




Survival Kit

When Nadine and I attended the survival class a few months ago we picked up some good tips about how a survival kit is different from a first aid kit.  First of all, it should be small.  Small enough that you can always carry it.  If it is a hassle it'll be easy to reason not to bring it.  Second, it should just have the essentials and items that serve multiple purposes.

  1. 2008 International Juggler's Association pocket knife
  2. SOL emergency blanket
  3. Waterproof matches
  4. Lighter
  5. Flint and striker
  6. Kindling
  7. Bandannas
  8. Whistle
  9. Glow stick
  10. String
  11. Flashlight




No comments:

Post a Comment